Santa Fe Photographic Workshops is committed to creating opportunities for photographers of all ages and skill levels and, for over 29 years, we have supported
students, teachers, emerging talent, and passionate individuals with
our Scholarship Program. For 2020, we are offering five scholarships — one awarded by Nikon and four by The Workshops.
The application period for 2020 scholarships is now December 1, 2019 – January 15, 2020.
Scholarships are valid for workshops in Santa Fe of four or more days in length. The Workshops makes every effort to place scholarship recipients in the workshop of choice.
Applicants can submit work to a maximum of TWO scholarships for this time period.
NIKON Scholarship (One Available)
In recognition of the personal vision that inspires great pictures, Nikon awards a scholarship (up to $1000) to amateur and professional photographers. The scholarship program is an extension of Nikon’s partnership with Santa Fe Photographic Workshops to refine and reward excellence, and share it with the photography community.
- NIKON Scholarship (one available): up to $1,000, available to anyone wanting to engage their passion for photography
Santa Fe Photographic Workshops Scholarships (Four Available)
In consideration of special financial circumstances of some of our participants, we award scholarships to those who have financial need.
- Passionate Photographer (one available): up to $1,500, available to anyone wanting to engage their passion for photography
- Emerging Photographer (two available): up to $2000, available to 18-30 year olds
- Photography Educator (one available) up to $1500, available to any professional educator of secondary level and above.
All scholarships are awarded as credits that apply to workshop tuition, fees, and on-campus accommodations only. Recipients are responsible for additional expenses such as travel and other personal expenses. Cash awards are not issued, and unused portions are not distributed as cash.
The Workshops makes every effort to place scholarship recipients in their workshop of choice. Due to the popularity of many workshops, we suggest you guarantee a place in your desired workshop by applying in the formal registration process. This requires a $300 deposit for workshops in Santa Fe. Please call (505) 983-1400 x111 to check workshop availability before applying.
Winners are notified one week after the application period closes.
Application Requirements and Process
- Application Form: The PDF application form is available for download here. Please complete the form and upload to Vault with your images. launch Vault
- Letter of Intent: Indicate the scholarship for which you are applying, include a statement about your development as a photographer, the name of the workshop you wish to take, and how the workshop will help you reach your goal(s). If applying for a Santa Fe Photographic Workshops scholarship, please include a statement about your current financial need.
- Two Letters of Recommendation: Provide two letters from individuals who are familiar with your photography work and can comment on your education, work history, and financial need. Please exclude family members as references.
- Twenty Photographs: Image submissions* are accepted online via the Santa Fe Photographic Workshops Vault system. Images do not need to have been created at Santa Fe Photographic Workshops!
There are two main steps to prepare your images – file name and file formatting.
- It is very important that the file name include your first and last name (FirstLast), and image number. DO NOT USE OTHER PUNCTUATION OR SPACES in your file names. Your file name should look like this: FirstLast_02.jpg
Ensure the image size, format, and color space follow these guidelines:
- 72 ppi resolution
- 1,280 pixels on the longest side
- sRGB or RGB color space (standard) with layers flattened
- 8 bit mode
- JPG format with compression at level 7 (at minimum)
*The Workshops will not accept websites, emails, books, posters, or any format other than those indicated above.
Your Application Form, Letter of Intent and Letters of Recommendation can be uploaded to our Vault system if they are Word docs or PDF's.
You may also mail them to:
Santa Fe Photographic Workshops
Attn: Scholarships Program
50 Mt Carmel Rd
Santa Fe, NM 87505